The Powers and Items of Doctor Strange
Version 1.06. Last updated: 10 February 2013.
This document is researched, under constant construction, and maintained by Neilalien.
Enjoy it. Please do not take it and call it your own work.
Email feedback, corrections, input, questions, support, etc., to webmaster -at- neilalien.com .
Back to Dr. Strange Information. Back to Dr. Strange Weblog.
Amulet of Agamotto
- First appearance: ST #110 (Doc's first appearance). Doc's first, original mystic amulet, given to him by the Ancient One. It is the predecessor to the Eye of Agamotto, which was awarded to Doc by the Ancient One after defeating Dormammu in ST #127.
- Semantic note: For a time after ST #127, Doc still referred to his mystic amulet, using language as if the Amulet of Agamotto contained the Eye of Agamotto. Eventually, the item came to be called only the Eye of Agamotto. Then later in the Sorcerer Supreme series, the Amulet and Eye came to refer to separate items: Doc's original Amulet (or "early-model Eye") and then newer Eye. Referred to as Amulet of Agamotto in DSSS #56.
- After awarding Doc the Eye, the Ancient One gave the first Amulet back to Agamotto [DSSS #32].
- Silver Dagger stole the Amulet (or "early-model Eye") from Agamotto (or more accurately, Agamotto let him take it) and used it in his empty left eye socket for a time [DSSS #32].
- Doc eventually awarded this Amulet to his apprentice Rintrah [DSSS Annual #2].
- The Amulet's powers are virtually identical to the Eye's. See the Eye of Agamotto.
- Doc is able to enter a trance (rather quickly) and leave his physical body for a ghostly astral form. The astral form has no physical substance, can pass through walls, and is invisible to
the non-mystical (except for the Hulk). The physical body is stationary and helpless during this time. There is no connection to the physical body- if it is moved without the mystic's knowledge
while away in astral form, the mystic must search for it [ST #121]. If the astral form does not return to the body within 24 hours, the body dies and the mystic is helplessly trapped in astral form until it slowly dissipates [ST #121].
A mystic is weaker in raw power in his astral form than he is in his physical body.
- First appearance: ST #110.
- Intense atomic energy, like at the core of a star, "can bring about a chemical change which could prove fatal to a spirit form" [ST #134].
- The astral form can be used to take possession of another body [DS #80].
Bolts of Balthakk
- Standard energy blast [DS #32].
- Apparently used to break up a large melee by teleporting each group to opposite sides of a room (spelled Balthaak here) [Def V2 #8].
Bolts of Bedevilment
Book of the Vishanti
- First appearance: ST #116. "I possess the only known copy of the Book of the Vishanti! Every counter-spell known to the mystic arts is inscribed within these time-worn pages!"
- Referred to as "the sacred volume which contains within its yellowed pages all knowledge of the occult possessed by mortal man" [ST #147].
- An enchanted aura guards the book [ST #147] (but it's not clear from this reference if it's inherent to the Book or a protection Doc has placed on it).
- For a time in the past, the Book was guarded by a sacred griffin appointed by the priests of the Babylonian god Marduk. It was written that whoever defeated the sentinel would be the destined possessor of the book. The Ancient One long ago defeated the griffin to become this "destined possessor", and eventually gave the Book to Dr. Strange. When the evil mystic Kaluu stole the Book from Doc and sent it back in time to the past when the griffin guarded it, Dr. Strange and the Ancient One went back to retrieve it. In this second go-round, Dr. Strange could not defeat the griffin! Only the Ancient One, having once defeated the griffin to become the Book's destined possessor, became, or was always destined to be, the only person who could ever defeat the griffin [ST #150]. (Now that the Ancient One is dead, it is unclear how Doc would retrieve the book again if Kaluu's trick were ever repeated.)
- Can be enlarged to envelop a target, sending them into "the endless dimensions of the Vishanti" and "the hidden landscapes of your mind" [DS #33].
Cauldron of the Cosmos
- "Here, before the blazing Cauldron of the Cosmos, I oftimes sit for hours upon end-- and dwell upon the immutable mysteries of the universe!" Located in Doc's Chamber of Meditation [Defenders v1 #15].
- Doc says he's consulted the Cauldron in Defenders v3 #1.
Chains of Krakkan
- Conjures heavy chains to ensnare a target [DS #47].
Clamp of Containment
- Summons and shapes rock from the ground beneath a target, trapping the lower body and hands at the waist. The target is unable to cast spells. Used on Doc by Cyrus Black [DS #34].
Cloak of Levitation
- Red with yellow trim and distinctive cowl, the Cloak allows Doc to fly with little effort or drain to his personal mystic energies.
- Doc can mentally command, move and control the Cloak. He has used it to envelop enemies.
Crimson Bands of Cyttorak
- Large red glowing ribbons usually used to wrap and capture or imprison a target.
- Can be sent out en masse to search for a specific target. Dormammu looked for Doc this way [DSSS #1].
- In What If? V2 #52, What If Dr. Doom Became Sorcerer Supreme?, Dormammu used the Crimson Bands to seal the Baxter Building.
- Can be used for feats of strength. Doc used them to break out of a Clamp of Containment [DS #34].
- The Bands can be used to lasso someone out of a crowd [X-Men Annual #4].
- The Bands have also appeared as a large imprisoning crystal that shrinks [ST #128].
Crimson Crystals of Cyttorak
- Summons what appear to be small rubies that are used as an energy blast [MP #5].
- Doc used them to imprison, shrink and cast away a Vipers of Valtorr spell cast against him [DS #34].
Crystals of Cyndriarr
- A mystical energy blast composed of yellow rectangular crystals. "Their touch is certain death!" [DS #44].
Daggers of Daveroth
- A mystical energy blast composed of red fiery daggers. Their counter-spell is noted in the Book of the Vishanti [DS #44].
- A powerful book, of parchments written by the Chthon, Elder God of Chaos, containing his arcance and demonic secrets, collected and bound by the evil sorceress Morgan Le Fey [DSSS #11].
Demons of Denak
- Summons what mainfests as numerous invisible claws, used for attack or to rip suitable objects apart [I forget?].
- A common Doc exclamation.
- Doc can enter the dreams of others [ST #110].
- Doc: "My first lessons were in dreamwalking..." [ASM V2 #47].
Eye of Agamotto
- Dr. Strange's most powerful and precious item. Basically identical in powers (but not in appearance) to its predecessor, the Amulet of Agamotto- although in ST #128 it says that Doc has been given "a more powerful amulet". The text below uses "Eye" to refer to both the Amulet and the Eye.
- The Ancient One can activate the Eye's powers remotely [ST #110].
- The Eye can send out a hypnotic, immobilizing ray of blinding light [ST #110].
- An astral form of the Eye travels with Doc's astral form, and its powers are available to Doc while in astral form. This seems to make the Eye an incredibly powerful and useful item; no other item has been shown to also have an astral form like this (although occasionally Doc's Cloak of Levitation is included in art of Doc's astral form, which is a mistake (and why would the Cloak be needed for flight in astral form?)). The Eye's physical form remains with Doc's physical body, and that can also be activated by Doc while in astral form, the equivalent of having two Eyes [ST #110]!
- It can be used to communicate with others and transmit thoughts over long distances [ST #110].
- Doc uses it on several occasions to transmit strength/health to the Ancient One [ST #111].
- Its light can be used to detect normally-invisible mystical auras, effects, etc. [ST #116].
- Its light can dissolve illusions. "Nothing evil can bask in its glow for long!" [ST #116].
- It can be used to completely read another's mind [ST #118].
- The Eye (an actual eyeball) can be called forth to leave the amulet holder, and rise to the middle of Doc's forehead, in the "third eye" location [ST #120]. No different Eye powers have been shown when it's used this way as opposed to when it stays in the amulet holder, but it's a neat effect.
- It can unlock door bolts ("no mere man-made lock can resist the power of my enchanted amulet") [ST #120].
- It can play back recent past events in an area (because "light waves never completely disappear") [ST #121].
- The Eye can be drained by a great expenditure of its power, which renders it unusable for a while (presumably it recharges normally over time). The Eye looks sleepy and tired when this happens [ST #149].
Flames of the Faltine
- Standard energy blast. The Flames are usually green.
- Used to melt the Icy Tendrils of Ikthalon [DS #33].
Flames of Regency
- The flames around Dormammu's head have been explained as a kind of fiery crown signifying the leader of the Dark Dimension. When Clea was leader of the Dark Dimension, she was shown with flames behind her head (but her head wasn't engulfed in the fire as Dormammu's was). However, other Faltinians who had nothing to do with control of the Dark Dimension have been shown to look like little Dormammus with flaming heads.
- While Clea was leader of the Dark Dimension, she said that the flames of regency whispered tyrannical, urge-for-power type thoughts to her that she had to resist [Marvel Comics Presents #20].
- "The Curses and Fiends of Fungol Thopa." Used by Sligguth against Dr. Strange with the incantation "K'Thaka Fungoi!" Manifests a foul fungus on the target which drains life from the pores [MP #5].
- Doctor Strange possesses the standard ability to powerfully and instantly hypnotize others, plant suggestions, forget their past or that they ever met Doc, etc.
Icy Tendrils of Ikthalon
- Entraps the target in a freezing coating of ice [DS #33].
Images of Ikonn
- Doc freaks out Galactus(!) with this spell: "I reached into the darkest corners of his mind to confront Galactus with the ghosts of all he has slain." [Fantastic Four #243]
Invisible Shield of Everlasting Enchantment
- Dr. Strange refers to this magic after surviving a blast from the atomic electrodes of the robot Voltorg [ST #166].
- As a general rule, Dr. Strange has been shown absorbing much more physical punishment than a normal human ever could, even from sneak attacks without preparing a magical shield. In some instances, Doc has referred to and expressed gratitude for vague "protections" and such. Essentially, it's obvious (and sensical) that Doc has some kind of mystical shield going on that protects him 24/7 and doesn't require his constant concentration.
- Doc often levitates in place lightly off the ground while he is meditating or studying. I assume he is able to fly outright, but that it is a drain on his mystical resources. The Cloak of Levitation solves that issue.
- Doc's mystical training with the Ancient One included full martial arts training. He has no problem letting the occasional karate chop fly.
- Doc has dodged a kung fu chop by Mantis, something "only three others have ever done" [Defenders V1 #9].
Mist of Hoggoth- see Spell of Hoggoth
Mists of Morpheus
- Standard sleep spell [Def V2 #8].
Mists of Munnopor
- Summons a bluish gas which covers the face of the opponent and suffocates him [DS #34].
Multiple Body Illusion
- Several illusions of Doctor Strange surge forth; enemies don't know which is the real one, if any of them are.
- In what appears to be a huge power boost to this ability, Doc can give each illusory figure the power to hypnotize people [ST #131].
- Appearances: ST #123 (first, against Loki), ST #130-131, DS #70.
Orb of Agamotto
- Doctor Strange's "crystal ball."
- Originally portrayed as a globe of the Earth- the work of evil mystical forces appeared as dark spots, revealing their location on Earth and their intensity to Doc.
- In ST #128, the Orb of Agamotto is referred to as the Eye of Agamotto. Oops.
- The gem provides a means to enter (or become trapped in) the Purple Dimension led by the slaver Aggamon [ST #119] [DS #56].
- Used to amplify and focus the Eye of Agamotto's power; the incantation included "Heightened by Aggamon's distant might" [DS #33].
- Used to entrap an opponent; the target appeared to be more like eaten by the gem itself rather than transported to the Purple Dimension [DS #33].
- Doc once attempted to use the Purple Gem to entrap Loki, but being a god, Loki resisted being sent to the Purple Dimension (or if he was actually sent there, he was able to return instaneously under his own power) [ST #123].
Rains of Raggadorr
- Summons a small thunderstorm. The Rains washed away Fungol Thopa, while accompanying lightning struck at multiple evil targets [MP #5].
Rings of Raggadorr
- There are seven mystic rings of Raggadorr [DS #47].
Ring, Unnamed ("Astral Form Power")
- The Ancient One gave Doc a ring which allows him to do everything in astral form that he can in real-life form [ST #117].
- An ancient idol of Tiboro, leader of the Sixth Dimension. The object allows Tiboro to influence and capture people on Earth, and provides travel between Earth and the Sixth Dimension.
- Go to the excellent Tiboro page at The Marvel Universe Appendix.
(Light of the) Seven Suns of Cinnibus
- A powerful energy blast described as a scorching, all-consuming brilliance [DS #34].
Shackles of Sheol
- Magenta bands which enwrap a being's legs and cross at the chest, used to trap and transport an opponent. Used against Doc by Mephista [DSSS #30].
Shield of the Seraphim
- Standard protection spell. Shown as a shimmering globe around Dr. Strange.
"Sleep Protection Chant"
- "I carelessly forgot to utter the protective chant which keeps me safe from harm when I shut my eyes in repose" [ST #122].
Spell of Forgetfulness
- Makes any number of people forget a recent event [ST #129].
Spell of Hoggoth
- Summons the Mist of Hoggoth, which allows entry into Nightmare's realm and provides a narrow path of safety to follow within that shadowy dimension [ST #116].
Teleportation & Transportation
Vapors of Valtorr
- First appearance: ST #115. Mordo attacks the Ancient One with them in Doc's first origin story.
- Summons a dark cloud that can surround and imprison an opponent [ST #125].
- Summons a dark ominous cloud, with accompanying lightning striking at several enemy targets [MP #5]. Similar to the Rains of Raggadorr.
Vipers of Valtorr
- Summons a mass of long, green, writhing snake-like tentacles to grapple and constrict a target [DS #34]. Also shown with large-clawed hands at the ends [DS #1].
- A common Doc exclamation.
Winds of Watoomb
- Summons massive winds that can move opponents away, or friends to safety [DS #70].
Wings of Needless Sorrow